Breakfast Energy Bar
Recipe provided from Jo Jo Wang, Registered Dietitian
• 1 ¼ cups medjool dates
• 1 ⅓ cups water
• 1 ½ cups rolled oats
• 1 cup puffed rice (or any flakes cereal)
• ¾ cup buckwheat groats
• ¾ cup flaxseeds, whole
• ½ cup goji berries (or raisins)
• 3 tablespoons chia seeds
• ½ cup pistachios (or any nuts chopped into small pieces)
• 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
• ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
• 2 tablespoons quinoa (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350C, and line the bottom and sides of a 9” square pan with parchment paper.
2. Pit the dates and tear them with your fingers into a small saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, and mash with a fork until you have a rough purée.
3. Put oats, puffed rice, buckwheat groats, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pistachios, goji berries, and cinnamon into a large bowl, mix well. Add the date mixture and stir until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix in quickly.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared pan, press firmly to achieve a flat surface. Sprinkle quinoa on top and press on. Bake for 30 minutes until firm and set, and golden on top and darker around the edges. Leave to cool in the pan before cutting into pieces. Keep in airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.