Bean-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
In this delicious one-dish meal, black-eyed peas and barley create a savory filling that steams inside cabbage leaves
Recipe and photo from Cookspiration by the Dietitians of Canada
Servings: 16 rolls
• 1 small head cabbage
• 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, mashed
• 1 cup cooked barley
• 1 cup finely chopped celery
• ½ cup finely chopped onion
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp dried basil
• 1 pinch dried oregano
• 1 pinch dried thyme
• 2 drops hot pepper sauce
• 2 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
1. Place cabbage in freezer overnight to wilt leaves.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
3. Carefully remove 16 cabbage leaves from frozen head, one at a time, cutting each from the core with a sharp knife. Trim the center rib on individual leaves to make the leaf the same thickness throughout, but do not remove the rib.
4. In a bowl, mash black-eyed peas and barley together. Stir in celery, onion, salt, basil, oregano, thyme and hot pepper sauce until well blended.
5. Place about 1/4 cup (60 mL) pea mixture on the rib end of each cabbage leaf. Roll up and tuck in sides. Pack cabbage rolls tightly into casserole dish. Pour tomato juice over rolls.
6. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until sauce is bubbling and cabbage rolls are hot in the center.
Holding the frozen cabbage under warm water as you work may make it easier to remove the leaves.